Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Review: Angelfall (Penryn & the End of the Days #1) by Susan Ee

Title: Angelfall (Penryn & the End of the Days #1)
Author: Susan Ee
Published: May 21st 2011
Publisher: Feral Dream
Read synopsis: Goodreads

Rating: 5 of 5 stars


Wow! This book is just incredibly beautiful and absolutely awesome! This is not your typical angel/nephilim kind of novel. The idea of angels in a post apocalyptic/dystopian setting really did get my interest. The plot was uniquely cool, the world-building was amazing, the twists and actions were mind-boggling and the character were all kick-ass! I can almost say that this could be as good as the Hunger Games!

Penryn is a great character. She's strong, brave, kind, resourceful and loyal. She knows how to fight and it was amazing that she know a lot of martial arts yet she barely uses it unless she really needs it for her and her family's survival. She cares for her family very much, she'd do anything for them even if that means allying herself with an enemy. One thing I so notice about her that is quite different from most YA heroines is that she doesn't easily get distracted from her priorities even though she's with someone who is achingly gorgeous. Yes, she noticed that Raffe is devastatingly good looking but she doesn't actually fantasize on any romantic possibility between them yet. She does seem to care and had been really loyal to him though.

Raffe is an angel that was saved by Penryn when his wings were cut off. He's definitely mysterious. I was actually a bit surprised that he could actually make jokes and be sarcastic. From the most parts of the book it was clear that his only concern was just to get his wings back. He doesn't even seem to be grateful for Penryn saving him. That his and Penryn's partnership is just purely a partnership. That being friend with her is impossible. But during the last part some of his actions do indicate that he may have really cared for Penryn.

There's hardly any romance in this book. But I can say there could be a possibility. The relationship between Penryn and Raffe is more like companionship and friendship. I love to have a romance between the two but right now I like it just as how the author is developing their relationship, slow but more believable. 

There were those gruesome parts that made me cringe but also made me feel awed. Haha. Weird, I know. The description was vivid and it was appalling but somehow it has a positive effect on me. When I was reading it I felt like I was watching a movie. And it made me more curious and excited. The thing about Penryn's mom was also weird and creepy yet I think there is something more about it.

Everything that happened on the last part left me seriously craving for the next book. The way Ee wrote it was just really amazing. This is one hell of an awesome debut novel! I highly recommend this, everyone! A must read! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...