Friday, December 2, 2011

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Published: September 27th 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
Read synopsis: Goodreads

Rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book was very different from most paranormal books I'd ever read. When I started reading this the first thing I noticed was the writing. It was uniquely different. It was elegant and beautiful. But it was also a bit strange for me, it's like the first time I encountered something like this that I didn't know if I would be able to grasp the strangeness/uniqueness of this book and appreciate it as something wonderful.

I almost gave up on this book. The first few chapters were fine but it was like I needed some adjustments with all the ideas and concept of the book. I had a hard time adjusting and grasping the weird, strange but somehow unique concept of the book especially the deal about the teeth. LOL. I saw reviews and they were all good and I was really wondering why this book is not getting me. And so I think maybe I wasn't just in the mood or maybe this isn't just for me. I decided to put this book on hold for a while until I'm pretty much convinced that this book is really worth a try.

And yes! After weeks of putting it on hold and arguing with myself if I should continue reading it I was finally convinced (Thanks to some of my GR friends!)And all its worthiness was proven. I admit during the first parts I thought the book was weird. And I didn't know if I would like it or not. But as I progressed things were finally taking my interest. Slowly I was getting absorbed and caught up by the world of Karou. And I started to really appreciate the uniqueness/strangeness of this book.

I love Karou, Akiva, Madrigal and Brimstone! They are all such wonderful characters. Usually, when I'm reading paranormal books I want characters that know what they are and what their purpose are. When it pass half of the book and it wasn't still very clear I usually get impatient and struggle to know what they really are. But in this book I was incredibly patient and surprisingly taking and absorbing everything slowly. I wasn't in a hurry to know what's up and what or who the character really is. I love how the author revealed everything by jumping from the present to past then to present again. I love how she let the readers know exactly what had happened with the characters by making them see the whole thing not just by letting the characters say what happened but by bringing us to the exact past situation.

The twist and revelations made me really curious and wonder what's gonna happen next. I think this will be an interesting series. This first book doesn't have much actions and adventures yet to offer. It’s more of the learning, realization and revelations. It's like an introduction to this new world, understanding first the whole situation before getting on the next step, the next book, where I think the real excitement and action kicks in. :))

So yeah, I think I'll waiting for the next book and hope it'll be as good or even more as the first book. I recommend this to everyone! Read this! :))  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...