Monday, August 20, 2012

Review: Silver (Bandia #1) by Talia Vance

Title: Silver (Bandia #1)
Author: Talia Vance
Publication Date: September 8th 2012
Publisher: Flux
Rating: 4.5 stars!

"As I step into the room, a silver flash blurs my vision. Before I can take a breath, the world falls away."

 Brianna has always felt invisible. People stare right past her, including the one boy she can't resist, Blake Williams. But everything changes at a house party where Brianna's charm bracelet slips off and time stands still. In that one frozen, silver moment, Blake not only sees her, he recognizes something deep inside her she's been hiding even from herself.

Discovering she is descended from Danu, the legendary Bandia of Celtic myth, Brianna finds herself questioning the truth of who she is. And when she accidentally binds her soul to Blake, their mutual attraction becomes undeniable.

But Blake has his own secret, one that could prove deadly for them both.

Bound together by forbidden magic, Brianna and Blake find themselves at the heart of an ancient feud that threatens to destroy their lives and their love.>

The first time this book landed on my sight I know it's gonna be a good book. So when I saw this in Netgalley, I requested it right away. But I got declined. So I requested it again. And still I got declined. By this time I was almost so willing to just wait for this book to be released. But then I said just one more time. (I could be really persistent or hardheaded. Ha!) I did a little editing on my bio then requested it for the third time. And fina-freaking-lly, they approved me! 

I'm so happy that all my effort didn't come to waste because this book did not disappoint! This is a very stunning and gorgeous book. It's very rare for me to encounter paranormal books that are influenced by Celtic Myths and Irish folklore so when I read this everything were almost pretty new to me. I really loved the uniqueness and originality of it.

It wasn't the kind of the book that would instantly blew you away, in fact, for the most parts I was a bit confused and puzzled with all the mythological stuffs but through that just brought more curiosity in me. It just made me more intrigued and interested in knowing and figuring out what was going on. It never wavered to hold my interest. And when the revelations and twists came I was absolutely satisfied with the outcome and how everything turned out.

Brianna Paxton is an easy character to like and connect. She's genuine, smart, strong and humble. She's beautiful but no one notice her despite that I didn't see her being so bitter about it. Of course, she always wonders why and there were moments that she feels bad about herself but she wasn't the kind of person who whines and feels angry about it all the time. But Brianna is still a girl and like any other girl she wishes to be notice by the guy she likes, Blake. 

It took me some time to trust Blake. I like him but I wasn't entirely sure if he was being real or honest to Brianna at first. As the story progressed, as more information were thrown I realized that Blake is just torn from doing what his family expects him to do and what he really feels. But I was really glad that when he already has to choose, he chooses Brianna and took the risk of it. And I saw that he was sincere and honest about it. 

The romance between Brianna and Blake is absolutely a winner for me. I love how they got connected, fought it but in the end gave in with it and soon find out that there's more than just the magic that connected them but something from their heart that is much more real, genuine and bigger - love. I can't remember how many times I died from swooning with these two and with all those sweet and steamy moments.

The paranormal and mythology aspect of this book is very intriguing and engaging. I love the story about Danu and Killian and how the curse started. I love exploring the abilities the characters have and how they used it. It was fascinating and very engrossing. 

Overall, this is a very captivating and stunning debut novel. I applaud Talia Vance for writing such a very unique novel with original plot, awesome twists, brilliant characters and gorgeous romance. I highly recommend this. I need Gold now! And more swoon-worthy moments between Brianna and Blake!

*Thank you Flux and Netgalley for providing a review copy of this book.


P.S. Did you know that I read this twice?! I'm not much a fan of re-reading, there are only two novels I've re-read, The Hunger Games and Obsidian. Both I'm really addicted about. So what does that mean? That I'm addicted to Silver? Oh hell yeah! This book has definitely the potential to be one of my most favorite YA series! I just wanted to say that this book is really really good and I want you guys to pick this one up, and so just to encourage you more, I'll share you a quote from one of my favorite scenes (yeah, this is a steamy one):

"The heat of his skin comes through his shirt, and the fabric becomes an intolerable intrusion. He helps me pull the shirt over his head, and it’s my turn to gasp. My fingers slide from his neck to his belly button, forging a tentative path along his stomach. “You know you’re kind of beautiful yourself.”" - (ARC, p236)

If I could quote the whole scene I really would. LOL! So there, I hope that one helped me convince you to read this. :D

19 comments:

  1. wow I love this cover and if the book is sounds as if the book is just as great!
    Thanks for the review!
    Amy
    http://teenyreader.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this! Omg, that quote, ahhh.<33 Brianna and Blake sound like such a beautiful and passionate couple. And I'm so glad Blake was trustworthy after all.

    Haha, the way you love this is so cute. :D I'm glad you finally got your hands on it, persistence really pays of, huh? (: Such a wonderful review, Eunice, this has got to be added to my Wishlist asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks amazing! I haven't read this one, but I am definitely going to add this to my endless wishlist ;) The cover is gorgeous too. I'm glad you could trust Blake in the end, their relationship sounds so cute! <3 And that quote... bdhiwefidcskajjdivv!!!
    Thanks for the great review. :)
    I'm a new follower, love your blog x

    Zoe from Bookhi
    www.bookhi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you being so persistent on NetGalley Eunice! Usually when I get rejected I go cry in a corner and have a pity party:) Fail. After all your hard work to snag a copy, I'm glad it was everything you had hoped for! I loved the mythology of this one and the world itself, but I did struggle just a bit with the romance. Because their soul connection thing happened so early, I had a hard time believing Blake's side of the relationship was real, but that being said, I enjoyed it overall and can't wait for the next book!!! Fantastic review my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you read this twice, Eunice. This means I must get a copy! Excellent review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nooooo! The one time I don't request a book on Netgalley and it's awesome?! *sobs* Good news is that this is released VERY soon. I am definitely getting myself a copy now after your review Eunice. The romance sounds amazing... that is one swoon-worthy quote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to hear that this is an awesome read! Plus, you read it twice, so it should be interesting! :)
    The mythology and the characters sound great. I'll definitely be checking it out soon! Lovely review, Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another awesome quote to suck me right in Eunice! You and Rachel seriously have the touch at picking the swooniest quotes. This book sounds real interesting, I like how it has a blend of everything; paranormal, mythology and a lovely romance too! Thanks for putting this book on my radar Eunice and for a fantastic review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eunice rating a book 4.5 AND re-reading it automatically means I must read this book ASAP, no questions asked. It's a good thing that I requested this on Netgalley sometime ago! I loved the dark and gorgeous cover, but have been overlooking it since I was required to read a few a few other egalleys before hand. I'll be reading this soon though, I promise. :) Exquisite review!

    That is a hot quote, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad your persistence paid off! I always keep on trying if it's a book I really, really want. I'm so glad you ended up loving this book, Eunice! It sounds fantastic. Brianna and Blake sound so great together. And that teaser? Sa-woon. ;) Fabulous review, Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I had already commented on this. Maybe I am losing it. O_o Anyway, sorry if you get something from me twice!

    After that swoon-worthy teaser, I definitely want to read this! The romance is already appealing to me. ;) I haven't heard much about this book so your review is one of the first I've read and I'm definitely excited now! I'm glad the persistence on NG paid off. ;) Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! You did! It was on Spam! Fail. I just saw it now. Hehe. :)

      Delete
  12. The stunning front cover lured me in straight away! Thanks for your fantastic review, Eunice. And for that teaser too, very oo-lala! <3

    Silver has worked its way onto my Wishlist, which is now getting very full! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really great review - thank you for sharing it! I hadn't actually heard of this book before now, but it certainly sounds like it is the start of a promising series. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Steph @ SteppingOutOfThePage.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome review Eunice! I love your netgallery story, you are very determined to get what you want, yay! I'm glad that Blake has to face a difficult choice but chooses Brianna. I really want to check out this book for the irish folklore! So glad you enjoyed reading this story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you enjoyed reading this story!!!! i love irish folklore. gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and by the way, I've added Book Overdose to my blogroll at Booked Up! , so that I can keep updated with all of your latest posts. :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad your efforts weren't for nothing, Eunice! To be quite honest, I never even noticed this, not on Netgalley or anywhere else, for that matter, and it's strange because it's exactly the kind of thing that would grab my attention.
    It's on my radar now so thanks for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds amazing! And I'm glad that the romance is slow building and that the characters connect beforehand. I'll definitely be reading this book now... and that scene at the end... OH GEEZ. :D

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...