Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Title: Drink, Slay, Love
Author: Sarah Beth Durst
Published: September 13th 2011
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Read synopsis: Goodreads

Rating: 3.75 of 5 stars


Vampire novels aren't really my type. Now that I think of it I realize I've only read 2 series which are vampire themed. Twilight and Morganville Vampires. The former was okay but I didn't really liked it very much. The latter was better but I didn't continue reading the series (there are too many books already and I feel like I'm very much left behind). Drink, Slay, Love was the first vampire book I've read since the two. But actually it wasn't the vampire thing that took my interest, it was the...unicorn. Yeah, dude. Unicorn. Imagine that, a vampire and a unicorn. Wow. And because of that I decided I'll give this a try.

Drink, Slay, Love was a fun, witty, quirky read. The first vamp book that made me laugh. The plot was unique, the characters were funny and the writing was good (but not really amazing). There were parts which I find corny and ridiculous but since the book wasn't really the serious, dark type - well the book doesn't really took itself seriously - you wouldn't really mind it and just let the story take you and make you laugh. 

Pearl was the snarky, funny, vampire protagonist of this story. To be honest I didn't really like her at first. She's quite insensitive and I was actually annoyed whenever she keeps pointing out her indifference to humans and keep asking why they are like that. Sometimes I wanna shout at her and tell her "Dude, you've been living in this world for 16 years, even if you say you're only awake at night you at least should know how humans really interact!" But once her conscience finally kicked in and developed I started to like her. Evan was an admirable character. He's this good guy you would instantly like. I wasn't that much surprised when everything about him was revealed but I did laugh with the explanation and I kind of find it silly. But I think it was also unique and cool. Bethany was a lovely and adorable character. She's kind though she could be weird at times but still I do love her. 

Some parts were downright ridiculous but really, you wouldn't mind. It was at the same time hilarious. This is the kind of book were you aren't expected to take everything seriously. Just read it, enjoy the story, have fun and laugh at its silliness and ridiculousness. 

If you're looking for a quirky vamp book that would make you laugh and and have fun, well, this one is for you. :)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...