Monday, August 13, 2012

Review: Spark (Elementals #2) by Brigid Kemmerer

Title: Spark (Elementals #2)
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Release date: August 28th 2012
Publisher: Kensington
Read synopsis: Goodreads

Rating: 4 stars

I was so glad when I found out that it will be Gabriel's story in the second book of this series. He's my favorite among the Merrick brothers and to finally be able to see and learn more of him was just freaking awesome. And I just love how Brigid Kemmerer thoroughly explored Gabriel's characteristics here from being a friend, a brother, a student, a lover and a hero.

What I enjoyed most was seeing the soft and vulnerable sides of Gabriel, the side which he usually hides through his tough facade. Here I was able to understand his reasons behind his impulsive, reckless and ill-tempered behavior. Much more to that was that I saw how much he actually valued his relationship with his family, especially with his twin brother, Nick.

Behind his tough and easy-going exterior was a sensitive boy who had his own frustrations, insecurities, regrets and sadness brought by the extraordinary circumstances their family had. Gabriel struggled to control his element and to prove that it could be used to do good things too. However, things didn't go easy. Beings accused of things he didn't do plus not being entirely trusted by his brothers made it even harder for him. But still he did the right things; save the lives of other people and his loved ones even if it might press him more to the accusations.

Layne was quite the opposite of Gabriel. Quiet, organized, responsible and patient. But what they had the same was the insecurities they had about their selves. Yet they fit each other, what's lacking with the other fills out by the other. Layne was a very genuine character and I love how she cared for his brother and how she didn't put up to any of Gabriel's sh*t during the earlier parts.

I was able to learn more of the other Merrick brothers as well. I was actually touched by Gabriel and Nick's relationship although they'd spent almost the entire time in this book not in so good terms. I was both impressed and sympathetic to Michael especially with the things that he needed to do to keep his family safe and together. So I was really glad that by the end he got himself a girl *wink* *wink* Look out for that! And one more thing, I remember saying in my review in Storm that I didn't like Hunter, but after reading this, I think I'm really liking him! I love the camaraderie he and Gabriel shared here.

I love how Kemmerer captured the very realistic problems and struggles a family could have especially in the circumstances of the Merrick brother. There were moments between the brothers that were very poignant and broke my heart and moments that were uplifting and touching. It was different or rather refreshing and new since on all theses dramas boys were the one involved. It wasn't awkward and I think the author captured just the right ways and emotions and thoughts these guys would have.

If you loved Storm, I'm sure you're gonna love this one even more. Brigid Kemmerer did a very wonderful job in writing an action-packed and thrilling paranormal book but with realistic and authentic teen and family problems with the hottest brothers in the YA world! lol! I had fun reading this! I highly recommend this book. :)

*Thank you Kensington and Netgalley for providing a review copy of this book!

11 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a new blogger and a friend recommended your blog! I have been meaning to look at this series, I can tell that you enjoyed it! :) What is 'Storm' like? I would like to know what you thought of that one? Thanks for a great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used the word "camaraderie"!!!! I love this book too and basically agree with everything you said. This is really a book I will not be forgetting for a long time. From Nick to Gabriel to Layne to Hunter to the rest of the characters, there is not a character that i don't care about. I also love how this book focuses on family. Wonderful review!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful review, Eunice! <3 I'm so glad that you enjoyed this book! :) I really need to read my copy of Storm! Everyone seems to love this series so much, and the way you describe it: realistic, poignant, and touching - I know that I'm going to fall in love with this series too! ;)

    And as you know, what's better than one hot boy? Four hot boys in a book! x)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabriel sounds beautiful.❤ what an amazing review, Eunice! This sounds exactly like something I would like, so I really need to invest in a copy! And the first in the series [Storm], too. The realism sounds so touching, and all the brothers sound wonderful! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so behind with this series, even though I only really have to read Storm! I can't wait though. It's waiting for me on my kindle so now it's a question of when not if. I'm glad the sequel was an enjoyable one. Lovely review, Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I didn't realize Spark was coming out so soon! Yay! I'm really excited to see more of Gabriel as well. His relationship with Nick will definitely be cool to see first-hand. And I'm a total sucker for tough guy/quiet, shy girl pairings so I think I'll love Gabriel and Layne together! Great review! I'm glad you liked it! And thanks so much for the follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I loved Storm and I'm so excited for Spark and I love that we really got to see and understand more about Gabriel and even the other Merrick brothers too! I just love their family dynamics and I've seen a lot of readers finish this book even more excited to read about Nick, so I'm looking forward to that for sure! Wonderful review, Eunice! :)

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to catch up with the Merrick boys again. I love the opposites attract sort of love stories, so I'm really excited. Glad to hear Hunter becomes more likable. And Michael!! He truly deserves some loving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm so glad you loved this book Eunice! I was so surprised by Gabriel in this book too, I didn't like him in Storm but he quickly became my favourite! I can't to read more about the Merrick brothers. Lovely review Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! I ADORE the brothers, and Gabriel? PHWOAR.
    But seriously, like you said, it's not the PHWOAR, it's the human side, and the vulnerability I love so much. AMAZING. LOVE your review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING REVIEW! I'm literally obsessed with the Merrick brothers, so I can't wait to read this book. And Michael finds someone? YEAH. I need this book soon. (:

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...