Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review: Come See About Me by C.K. Kelly Martin

Title: Come See About Me
Author: C.K. Kelly Martin
Published: June 2012
Publisher: C.K. Kelly Martin
Read synopsis: Goodreads

Rating: 4 stars


Come See About Me was a very well thought and written book about a girl who suffers from a great loss and how she tries to deal with it and picks herself back. I try most of the time to avoid emotional books but for some reason there was something in this book that just pulls me to it. So, even though it wasn’t on my reading schedule for this week I picked it up, squeeze it in and read it. And I’m really glad to find out and say that this book was a very good and lovely read.

First, I have to applaud, the author for writing such a very profound story of loss and overcoming it. She captured the emotions and feelings accurately and realistically making me understand the characters easily. The way she voiced Leah’s thoughts and feelings was so genuine and honest. So although some situations seem quite frustrating I could understand that it was her way of grieving and that her reactions were natural and expected. 

I love how this book effectively showed that the world continues to move on and that no matter how much you resist it, you'll have to go along with it. That life continues even with all those devastating things you had experienced. That through time you'll learn to accept and live with it. Never forgetting though but still continuing to live life.

As much as I love romance I'm glad that the romance here never overshadowed the plot and that as Leah rediscovered herself it wasn't because of a new found love, albeit it did contribute a part on it, but still it was all her. I wouldn't exactly say that this is a love story because clearly this one focuses more in Leah's struggles on finding herself back, rediscovering and realizing things about herself. But still there were sweet and steamy moments that were very well played here that never failed to make me swoon. 

I love how the author wrote the ending. Although it was a little open-ended it leaves you a reassuring feeling that Leah is indeed finally moving on and that everything is going the way it should be. 

This is my first book of this author and after reading this I will definitely be checking out more of her books. This is a very well written book about self-discovery and picking one's self up after a devastating experience. The author captured just the right emotions and just the right way of dealing with it. I highly recommend this.

11 comments:

  1. A friend of mine recently lost a loved one. And every time I see her, I am amazed at her strength. It just goes to show how strong the human will can be.

    Well-written review, Ate:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book on my wish list ever since my friend reviewed it. So I'm so glad that you loved it too! Despite the story sounding so achy and raw, your review definitely makes me want to get to it soon. I'm also glad the romance doesn't over-shadow the plot! A lovely review Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading emotional books sometimes and this sounds like something I'd enjoy! It sounds so poignant and raw and I'm curious to see how the author has dealt with it so well. The ending sounds pretty effective and it's good the romance didn't overshadow the story line!

    Lovely review, Eunice <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a beautiful book. Like Beverley, I love reading emotional books. In this case I'm definitely pleased to hear the romance doesn't overshadow the plot, because this seems like a book that's much more about Leah's own journey. Beautiful review, E. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a very intense story, Eunice. It sounds like the author did a fantastic job at capturing the emotions of the characters. I've never heard of the book before, so thank you for sharing. I will be on the look-out for the book! :)
    Lovely review, Eunice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sort of a glutton for books that make you cry or move you deeply, so I need to pick this one up soon. I haven't read anything by this author yet, but I keep hearing good things about her books. :) Nicely reviewed!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm feeling a little like Wendy at the moment (we'll see how long it lasts!) and hope I can squeeze this in somewhere. I definitely sound like a great book. It's good to hear the romance was handled well. Lovely review, Eunice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I'm kind of torn up right now. I REALLY want to read this book because I have a thing for anything gritty and dark and touching, but I'm so exhausted because of so many contemporaries I've read lately! I really like the sound of this book though, so it definitely makes my to-read list! <3 So excited that the characters stand up after so many devastating things happened to them. :') Amazing review, Eunice!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this just sounds wonderful. Books about great loss are the ones that I find to be the most emotional and memorable. I haven't heard of this book before reading your review, but I will definitely add it to my TBR list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    s @ Oh! Paper Pages

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't mind emotional reads and this one sounds well done. Plus, it doesn't hurt that this made it onto your "gorgeous-male" bookshelf on GRs! Lovely review Eunice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovley review, Eunice! I've been hearing such great things about this book, and seeing how it falls into the New Adult category intrigues me even more. Intense, emotional... yup, I'll be reading this one soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...