Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

Title: The Distance Between Us
Author: Kasie West
Published: July 2nd 2013
Publisher: Harper Teen
My Rating: 4.5 stars
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.
When was the last time I felt like this over a book? You know, the warm fuzzy feeling, all giggly and swoony and you felt like you were floating on the clouds from all the sweetness and cuteness of a story? That's exactly how I felt the entire time I was reading The Distance Between Us. I was practically high over all the adorable-ness of it and it's something I wouldn't really mind getting dose after dose. This book was just that fun and enjoyable.  

Caymen Meyers was a character I thought I would have a hard time liking. I thought her sarcasm would grate on my nerves and made her look like a judgmental, bitter and whinny girl. But turns out she just really has a dry humor which I eventually found funny and endearing. She has a strong and understanding personality. I loved how even with her mom's experience in love and with the rich people it didn't completely cloud her judgment on Xander and still let him in in her life. 

Xander on the other hand was a character that was really easy to like. I started a little cautious with his character thinking he would be some cocky, arrogant rich kid but nooo, he was the opposite! He was so nice, considerate and kind. I loved how he plans and thinks through their "career day" and makes sure that it was something Caymen would enjoy.

The development and the romantic build-up between the two was the best treat on this book. The process and the in-betweens from being friends to lovers were just so so adorable. I loved the morning hot chocolate, the sip-first-before-giving-it to Caymen, the questions, the "career days", Eddie's addictive muffins and all the other things they did as their feelings grew and develop. It was a little slow yet it made it a lot more genuine and sweet. 

The only complain I could probably give to this book was that I wish it was longer and the family thing had been elaborated more. Still, it was a very satisfying and pleasing read. Hopefully, there would be a sequel or a companion novel seeing as how the ending left enough room for it. Maybe we could start asking and emailing Kasie West for a next book? Haha.

This book will definitely be right up the alley of those who enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss, My Life Next Door, Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, From What I Remember and First Comes Love! This was such a fun, sweet and quirky read. I highly recommend this! :)

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Pivot Point by Kasie West so I've been looking forward to this. It's easy to fall for a story when the characters are sweet, fun and likeable. This story seems like it would tick all the boxes for me so I can't wait to pick it up. Excellent review, Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Eunice, I really like the sound of this one! To be honest, I wasn't sure this would be my cup of tea because I thought I'd struggle with Caymen, but it sounds like she is actually quite endearing. I guess I'll have to add this to my TBR after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely review Eunice! I'm right with you with the desire to email Kasie for another book with these characters! I love this book too! You mentioned everything I love like the hot chocolate trick, so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds adorable and sweet! I want to meet Xander :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY YAY YAY EUNICE!!!! I so loved this one too, it just made me happy:) I adored Caymen, I know she won't be for everyone because her sarcasm takes a little getting used to, but since I share her type of humor I just loved her instantly. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did, I can't wait to read more of Kasie West. Lovely, lovely review:):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when books give you that warm fuzzy feeling. Everyone seems to love this book! This story sounds so adorable.

    Fabulous review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds absolutely wonderful Eunice! I've been on the lookout for something cute over the Summer and this sounds perfect!! So glad you enjoyed this Eunice, wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole career days thing made me laugh, particularly when they went grave digging, but it was all so cute and fun to watch. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Eunice! I definitely hope there's a sequel too - like you said, there's room for one (and I did think the ending was a bit rushed). Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was unsure about Camryn at first too, she came across as extremely judgemental, but she really grew on me later on. Xander, of course, didn't need any help at all. I would love to read a sequel some day, but at the same time, I'm quite happy with where we left them. Perhaps the father situation could have been dealt with better.
    Great review, Eunice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, love your review. <3 So glad that you loved this book! I really wish to read it. Sigh. It sounds really sweet :) Thank you for sharing your honest review. <3 Hope I'll like it, even though I hated Anna and the French Kiss, lol :D But I do love other sweet books. <3
    Thank you for commenting on my blog. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...