Saturday, July 20, 2013

Review: Catching Liam (Good Girls Don't #1) by Sophie Bleu

Title: Catching Liam (Good Girls Don't #1)
Author: Sophie Bleu
Published: July 8th 2013
Publisher: Sophie Bleu
My rating: 4 stars
Twenty-one year-old Jillian Nichols only has one rule when it comes to boys: catch and release. Boy-catching isn't just a game for Jillian and her friends, it's a lifestyle. After all, boys might be good for a dance or a drink and certainly a little under-cover action of the scandalous variety, but expect much else and you're bound for heart ache.

So when her best friends and fellow boy catchers start dropping like flies junior year, Jillian is determined to keep boys in her bedroom and out of her heart. Until she meets Liam McAvoy, the kind of guy that sticks around to make waffles and who can't—or perhaps won't—take a hint.

Study abroad student Liam doesn't want to be another notch on Jillian's bedpost. Actually he has much more interesting ideas for Jillian and her bedposts, but his student visa's set expiration date means he can't promise her forever. That doesn't mean he's going to walk away from the challenge of discovering why Jillian is hell-bent at keeping people at a distance.

Before long, neither is sure who is catching who—or if they're playing for keeps. Jillian knows one thing though: falling in love will not only break the only rule of boy-catching, it could also break her heart.
From the influx of so many new-adult books the past months I'm really happy that I was able to find this little jewel and witnessed a really sweet and heartwarming contemporary story. Catching Liam was a fun and lighthearted read with enough emotional insight and depth that would definitely tug your heart strings and touch you. 

I was a little wary while reading this one especially after all my not so great experiences from this particular genre. But I'm glad to say that Sophie Blue manages to surprise me with how well she took things in this story. The characters were well developed, the plot was hilarious, romantic and touching, and the writing was surprisingly good. And I liked how this certain health condition was handled with knowledge and understanding. It isn't perfect but it has all what it takes for me to really like a contemporary novel. 

Jillian Nichols and Liam McAvoy were characters I really enjoyed reading about. They were easy characters to connect with and understand. Their relationship, although started in quite an unconventional way, grew naturally and genuinely. But with lots of swoon-worthy, giggle-inducing and steamy moments. 

Jillian's issues was something that saddened me and grab my heart and emotions especially with how hard she tried to hide it and how negatively it affected her thinking of self-worth. As the story progressed though, as her feelings with Liam developed and through his and her best friends' support she learned that she could face it together with them, with their help, with their love and care. 

And on to Liam, well I just have to say I second what JLA said about him in her review - definitely one of the swoon-worthiest male leads I'd ever read. Not just from his looks but from his overall characteristics - understanding, patient and very supportive. And did I mention he's a scot? Just imagine the accent. (Zachary Moore got himself some competition now on the kilt department. Haha.) 

The secondary characters too, I have to say, were well rounded especially Jess. Her friendship with Jillian was actually one of my favorite aspects in this book. It was very tender, heartwarming and amazing.

Quirky, sexy and fun but completely heartwarming. This book will definitely work out for those who enjoy contemporary reads without the worry of it being too stressing but with enough depth and insights that will still make you appreciate it in a deeper level. I recommend this. 

8 comments:

  1. I only recently ventured into the world of NA and I'm really eager to read more from that genre! This one sounds promising and I'll be keeping an eye out for it, especially after hearing you describe it as a 'little jewel.' Characters are always really important and I'm glad you felt you could understand them and feel sorry for them. And I'm very curious about this Liam... He seems just like my type ;)

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of Catching Liam before now, but I am a massive fan of light hearted, fun contemporary novels.

    Okay, I have GOT to meet this swoon-worthy Liam guy! He sounds gorgeous, and you can never have too many book boyfriends, right?! ;)

    Thankyou so much for sharing this fantastic review with us, Eunice. I'm so glad that you really enjoyed this one, and I will be keeping an eye out for it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually reading this book right now, about half way through. Glad to see a positive review for it. So far so good =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I enjoyed reading about the friendship between Jess and Jillian. And I'm excited that the next book will be about Jess - can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've actually heard a ton of mixed things on this one, Eunice, but I'm glad to see you giving it a good verdict, too! It sounds fun and sweet, and it gives me more hope for it. Thanks for sharing, doll! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo Eunice this sounds awesome! There has definitely been a massive influx of NA lately that's all been practically the same story with lots of drama and angst, so it's fantastic to read a review for this one and see you call it a jewel. Love finding these little nuggets of brilliance amidst a sea of the same. Can't wait to meet Jillian and Liam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure if this book is for me yet, haven't yet started reading New Adult, but I cannot wait :) I do adore the cover. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much :D Thank you for sharing your awesome honest review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had the best experience with this category of books either, but I'm really liking the sound of this. And Liam is one of the swoon-worthiest male leads you have ever read? I HAVE to meet him now. Great review, Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...