Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Review: Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Cursed
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication: September 18th 2012
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
My Rating: 3.5 stars
Dying sucks-- and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.

Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out.

However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't? But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not have been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.

Hi guys! So I manage to write a review before I go MIA for a few days! Yaaay! Haha! I'll be leaving tomorrow and I don't know if I be able to get on line in the next few days but I'll be back next week so yeah, I'll be sure to visit your blogs by then and see what I missed and comment more. For the mean time here's my review for Jennifer Armentrout's Cursed. Check it out. :)

----------------------------------------

Cursed is a fantastic novel that even though has a pretty common trope - the touch of death - was still able to offer something that is quite different and fresh. And although I did find it not as striking as Armentrout's first two published novels it was still a fairly entertaining read with outstanding characters and fantastic twists. 

Embers suffered a lot since the accident that caused his father to die and her to have the ability of touch of death. Her mother had gone into depression after that thus leaving her alone to take care of her younger sister, Olivia. Ember is a character that is easy to sympathize with especially with how things turned out for her after the accident - inside and outside of her home. Yet she became a determined and strong-minded character especially when it comes to Olivia. I like how much she cared for her and loved her. But it was also saddening and yes, quite frustrating with how strongly she believed that her ability is a curse - that she is cursed. 

In all honesty, I was actually really frustrated with her especially with the trust issue she had with Cromwell's group and how long it took her to realized that she'd been wallowing herself for so long and that it was finally time for her to take action and help herself with her ability. Although I think it was already a little late for me to make me like her as much as I did with Katy and Alex, I do still think that she is a person that has a lot of admirable and desirable characteristics. 

As for the Hayden Cromwell, Ember's love interest and also someone with ability, he is a character that is so easy to like. He is a total sweet heart and although could be described soft if compared to Armentrout's other boys he has this edges in him that makes him definitely crush-able and swoon-worthy. And yes, hot too! His patience and hard work in helping Ember control her gift is admirable and I like how much he loved his adopted family. 

Overall, this is definitely an entertaining and fantastic read albeit a bit predictable and in my case, quite frustrating. But I can still say that Armentrout's writing is indeed really good because even with those issues I had I can't seem to put this down when I started reading it. This may pale compared to her Obsidian and Half-blood this book is still a very worthy read. And yes, I guess I treasure this because this is my first ever physical ARC! Haha! I recommend this. 

Thank you so much Spencer Hill Press for sending me an ARC of this book! You guys rock!

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one Eunice, I unfortunately was only able to read up until like page 70, before I gave up! I definitely liked Hayden though! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for Cursed, but am glad that overall you enjoyed this, Eunice. Hayden sounds lovely, and I really want to meet him! Thanks for sharing you thoughts, wonderful review! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was an early writing of JLA and that's why it's not as good as her other books. She definitely improved as time went on. This was not my favorite either, but I enjoyed it overall. Great review Eunice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoy Jennifer Armentrout's books, and while I've heard from a number of bloggers that this one isn't quite as brilliant as her other books, I still really want to read it:) I have no doubt I'll thoroughly enjoy Hayden! Thanks so much for the review Eunice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this pales in comparison to her other books, but I still somewhat enjoyed it. We had similar thoughts on this book. Great review, Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, Ember does sound a bit frustrating, but I'm glad you still enjoyed this overall! Lol, the fact that's it pale in comparison is what I've heard, having read nothing from this author yet. Even now. Haha, congrats on your first physical ARC! Lovely review, E! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was only able to read Armentrout's Half-Blood which I really liked, and Obsidian, which I still can't finish. I'm already excited to meet Hayden! He sounds like an interesting guy but I haven't heard too much about Cursed so I might have to read more feedback about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many mixed reviews about this book. I can't make up my mind if I want to read it or not. It would be my first book from this author. I might wait for a while, because there are so many books I want to read. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a fairly good book! Even if it wasn't as good as jennifer's first two books, I'm still interesting in reading it! Great review, and glad that your no longer MIA! :D
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely review! I really want to try this review!

    Love your blog!
    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! You're definitely not alone, I've heard the same thing from many others, that this one isn't as good as her other series. The concept does sound pretty cool though. Thanks for the fabulous review, and welcome back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would love to read this book now. Thanks for the review :)

    New follower :)
    Kristen @ BetweenTheLines -WithK

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...