Saturday, July 13, 2013

Review: Faking It (Losing It #2) by Cora Carmack

Title: Faking It (Losing It #2)
Author: Cora Carmack
Published: June 4th 2013
Publisher: William Morrow & Company
My rating: 4 stars
Mackenzie “Max” Miller has a problem. Her parents have arrived in town for a surprise visit, and if they see her dyed hair, tattoos, and piercings, they just might disown her. Even worse, they’re expecting to meet a nice, wholesome boyfriend, not a guy named Mace who has a neck tattoo and plays in a band. All her lies are about to come crashing down around her, but then she meets Cade.

Cade moved to Philadelphia to act and to leave his problems behind in Texas. So far though, he’s kept the problems and had very little opportunity to take the stage. When Max approaches him in a coffee shop with a crazy request to pretend to be her boyfriend, he agrees to play the part. But when Cade plays the role a little too well, they’re forced to keep the ruse going. And the more they fake the relationship, the more real it begins to feel.
Cora Carmack, the first time I've seen your name on your debut novel, Losing It, I know you'd be a favorite author. Then I read it and totally loved it which just made you an official favorite. Months later you came back with another book, Faking It, which I have to say I absolutely adored! And that's when I knew I you just made your way through my heart as one of the authors I'll always be looking forward to. Thank you for writing these books.

Okay, where will I start with this one? Can I just say that I absolutely enjoyed it? Like really enjoyed it - great fun, with all the giggly, swoony and giddy feeling? Because that's what I think is missing on most of new-adult novels that's coming up lately. The fun. I don't know if you get what I mean but I've encountered a lot of NAs lately that were just too heavy, intense, dramatic and emotional (not to say frustrating as hell) that I'd end up feeling worried and anxious almost the entire time I just couldn't completely enjoy it. You know the feeling that even you, the reader, is tiptoeing around the story and characters, I slight wrong move will make everything bad. Wouldn't it be nice if even with all the issues and baggage the characters were carrying you could still feel relaxed and just enjoy their story? 

Thankfully, Faking It was exactly what I was looking for. It was a story with characters carrying emotional baggage and has to deal with their own personal demons yet it was also a story full of humor, laughs, sweetness and giddy feelings. It was a story where the author was able to make me really trust the characters and believed that even though one of them is expected to fucked things up they'd be able to still fix it in no time. 

I'm getting a lot of role reversal lately and I have to say that I'm absolutely loving it. Max is our rocker girl, who dropped out of college to pursue her dream of being a musician. She's a bad-ass who smokes, wears tattoos and dark sexy clothes with a no-nonsense attitude. While Cade is our golden all-American guy. The perfect gentleman, who goes to graduate school, a student volunteer and helps old ladies cross the street. 

How this two met and how their relationship started and developed was really funny and cute but it was still laced with deepness and seriousness as the story went on and as I learned more about each of them. I admit that there are moments that frustrated me quite a bit (although I know some of it were necessary for them to learn) but like I said, Carmack made me trust and understand them, so I was still able to relaxed and just see how they work things out. In the end I was rewarded with a really sweet and touching ending, with not so much drama, but still with great depth and insightfulness. 

Although I wouldn't completely disagree with those who said that it was quite predictable and that plot had already been used before I hope you wouldn't close your judgement in this book based on that because this book definitely has a lot more to offer than that. And as I've said it was really a very fun read. (And sexy!) I highly recommend this.

8 comments:

  1. Oh I completely agree about NA titles. Far too many of the ones I have tried have involved intense relationships and emotionally draining problems. It's nice to hear this is actually a fun read! :) Now that I'm feeling extra lazy (it happens every summer) I'm all for these sweet and cute reads and hope I can get started on the first book soon. Lovely review, Eunice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Eunice, NA seem to have the usual theme of heartbreak and dead parents or tragic accidents, so it's nice to see this one is fun! I laughed so many times in Losing It so I'm happy to hear this one continues the same tradition. I want to pick this up soon! Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh I love the role reversal here! I too love the humour and fun in Cora's books. I can't say I loved Losing It and I wasn't planning on reading Faking It but I think I'll have to check it out just for the characters<3 Fab review Eunice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I don't know if you get what I mean but I've encountered a lot of NAs lately that were just too heavy, intense, dramatic and emotional (not to say frustrating as hell) that I'd end up feeling worried and anxious almost the entire time I just couldn't completely enjoy it."

    YES! I feel the exact same way Eunice, and that's why I love Cora's books so much. There's just enough drama to make sure I feel something, but not so much that I'm stressed out while reading. I adored Max and Cade together, they were such fun couple and I was so glad to see Cade happy after watching Bliss slip through his fingers:) Can't wait for Finding It!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been avoiding NA novels because of the heavy and dramatic themes - glad that this one is giddy and funny. I like Carmack's Losing It and it's exciting to see that you loved this one! Fabulous review, Eunice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a lot of NA books have similar plots these days which is fine if the story is still done well and this one sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny and sexy? This definitely sounds appealing to me, Eunice! I've heard some good (and bad) things about this series, and I think the reason I tend to stay away from NA is the predictability, but I'm intrigued! I might just have to read it after all. Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love stories that cause laughing and not just grief from angst. Fantastic review Eunice!

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...