Sunday, June 30, 2013

Review: Dare You To (Pushing the Limits #2) by Katie McGarry

Title: Dare You To (Pushing the Limits #2)
Author: Katie McGarry
Published: May 28th 2013
Published: Harlequin Teen
My Rating: 3.75 stars
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....
Dare You To is another astounding novel from Katy McGarry that brought waves of emotions and feelings through me just like what she did me in her first novel, Pushing the Limits. Although I think the latter was a whole lot more intense and emotional, the former was still definitely a very sweet and enjoyable ride.  

I'm a sucker for opposite and antagonizing couples. So of course, Beth and Ryan were sold to me. But what I appreciated a whole lot more in this kind of arrangement was that their roles were reversed - it's now the bad girl and the good guy. It was refreshing to see the guy being the one who was more understanding, more patient and tolerating. The one who waits and supports. It definitely add more to the level sweetness and swoon-y-ness of the story.    

Beth wasn't a very easy character. This girl's tendency of self-sabotaging was quite alarming and frustrating. Although I loved her strong, sassy and fierce character, I did struggle some time understanding what was really up with her. Finally learning what had really happened when she was a kid that made her think that she owed her mother, I felt sadness and ache on what she had to suffer. 

Ryan, on the other hand, was a character that was easy to identify with and understand. The "golden boy" who seems so perfect and pieced together. But digging a little deeper will make you see that his character has some torn and frayed edges too. I love how both of he and Beth, despite the problems and flaws between them, was able to help each other developed and faced their own demons. 

Although the plot had been a bit standard and formulaic, I loved how Katie presented it through the characters of Beth and Ryan and how well she was able to emphasized the significant things - the understanding the forgiveness, the acceptance, the courage and of course, the love. 

I recommend this. 

11 comments:

  1. Your review's second-to-last sentence is amazing! I'm glad that you did not mind the standard plot becomes of the deeper meanings the book has. I liked Beth and Ryan too. (and connected more to Ryan too) Their chemistry was spot on! Fantastic review Eunice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Katie McGarry's ability to draw out so much emotion from you, and I'm really looking forward to that when I can finally get around to reading this. Having a good guy and a bad girl is definitely something more refreshing, and I'm intrigued to see just what it is that has Beth sticking with her mother until her uncle comes. Fabulous review, E! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book, and for me, it was even better than the first! Like you, I loved that Ryan and Beth were so opposite! So many FEELS in this book! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review, Eunice! Beth and Ryan ended up being a perfect couple! Can't wait for Isaiah's story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the fact that it's fairly formulaic. Luckily, the characters and writing set it apart, so I really enjoyed it! Great review, Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! I love the role reversal :) I can't think of any other books off the top of my head that featured a bad girl and a good guy :) So glad you enjoyed this overall Eunice! Lovely review<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I struggled at times with Beth's character too, though I really loved both her and Ryan overall. I agree about the role reversal. It was really refreshing to see! So glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did, Eunice. Fantastic review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think one of many things that makes people love Katie McGarry's books is because of her stunning characters! Ryan sounds so sweet, and I'm glad that you can understand Beth in the end, Eunice. I liked Pushing the Limits, so I'm hoping I will like this book too! :)

    Although you enjoyed Pushing the Limits more, so glad to hear that you also loved this book, Eunice! Awesome review! <3 I've missed you LOTS! Hoping to talk more soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all let me gather my thoughts. I just finished this book. This will go down as one of the best books that I have read this year! Noah and Echo's story broke my heart over and over. I literally sobbed like a baby for Noah and his brothers, then poor Echo's family situation was gut wrenching. Whewwwww there were times i had to lay the book down and tell myself to breathe while getting another kleenex. i do want to thank Katie McGarry for a beautifully written story with an awesome ending!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review :D I still need to read this one.. Heh. But I enjoyed Pushing the Limits a lot, and I can't wait to get to know Beth and Ryan :D Glad you loved it so much. <3 Thank you for sharing :)
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dare You To is a strong sophomore novel, with two characters that completely won me over and a romance that made me swoon. I am certainly sold on Katie McGarry’s ability to create characters I can fall in love with, and her way of writing them into stories that are addictive, swoony and downright good. I totally dare you to (yup, I had to do it!) take the time to read this novel - it’ll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...