Monday, July 9, 2012

Review: Broken by Megan Hart

Title: Broken
Author: Megan Hart
Published: May 1st 2007
Publisher: Spice
Read synopsis: Goodreads

Rating: 4 stars


If there is an erotic novel I would recommend and wouldn't be really embarrassed, okay, maybe a little, some parts of it were definitely way out of my comfort zone but still I think it would be this book. It was so much more than I had expected. I was surprised to find that this book has such a wonderful plot and depth that was just so emotionally gripping and utterly heartbreaking. I'd never thought a novel of this genre would make quite an impact on me but this one did. 

What's so wonderful about this book was how the author captured the struggles and emotions of each characters beautifully yet realistically through words and phrases in a way that would make you be involved with them, be connected with them in such a level that you could totally feel and understand what they were going through. 

It was so easy to sympathized with them yet it was hard to think what you really want to happen to them. I was torn between wanting Sadie and Adam's situation and relationship to heal and be better and wanting Joe and Sadie's companionship turn into something more and deeper. 

Sadie's internal struggles of finding out who she is after everything that had happened, of looking for someone who could provide her needs, someone who could make her feel special, someone who could talk to her and ask her about her problems, someone who could take care of her for once was so utterly poignant and heartbreaking that forced me to shed some few tears.

For once, I found myself reading a book where I cannot hate any of the main characters. No matter how flawed or wrong or frustrating they could be. I was left to understand them and their situation. And with that I saw how strong and admiring these characters could be too.

Although this was categorize as an erotic-romance novel I could say that it is way more than that. I'm not much into this kind of genre and even though some parts of it were quite uncomfortable for me, setting those aside, the emotional aspect of this book and it's profundity is absolutely wonderful and very compelling. I love how the author crafted her words into such beautiful and riveting lines and dialogues that could bring out intense emotions from you. I'm glad I was able to read this. This was such a new but wonderful experience for me. I recommend this.

10 comments:

  1. Hmm! I've never read this type of book, but this one sounds really interesting! I like that although there were some parts where you felt uncomfortable reading it that there was an actual story line that balances it out.

    Thanks for the review! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't the sort of book that I'm into, but I'm glad that it's deeper than it seems. Wonderful review, Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erotic novels are usually out of my comfort zone too... there's only so much steam I am comfortable with reading. ;) I really like the sound of this one though, especially as it has so much depth. Great review, Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't read these kinds of books because they have basically no plot and 90% of the plot is devoted to ... carnal activities ? :P
    Still, it's good to hear that this one has more to it than steamy scene ! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I think I could agree with you on that. I read some reviews before reading this and they all said that this has such a wonderful plot. And indeed it has. It was even poignant and very emotional. I wouldn't have written a positive review on this if it wasn't. Thank you, Nick! :D

      Delete
  5. I think I've been meaning to check this one out, the reviews mostly seem to be really good and I love a book when it provides so much more than you expected. Wonderful review Eunice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about these books not usually having compelling plots and being mostly based on intimacy, if you'd call it that. so this does sound different and interesting. think i'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL to say that erotic novels are out of my comfort zone too would be an understatement -- I'm easily flustered, and my cheeks going pink would probably give away any erotic scene while I read it! :') (It's actually really embarrassing LOL.) But if you actually really enjoyed this one and it was more than just a steamy book, I think this sounds like one of the best erotic books I've ever heard about!

    Amazing review, Eunice! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I read another review on this Eunice and remember that it's quite a sad story. Glad you enjoyed this even though it was out of your comfort zone a bit. Fab review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Eunice,
    Great review. I was intrigued and I will definively add it to my list.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Lucie
    http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...